Home Uncategorized Light at the end of the tunnel.

Light at the end of the tunnel.

February 25, 2013
Hi. I… loved the Oscar’s last night. It was also my cute brother-in-law’s birthday. He’s fantastic. The noms were good and the company was even better. I had about a billion-and-one-thoughts throughout – not all appropriate – and I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to re-watch it and possssibly live-blog it. I’m gonna be THAT guy. Sorry about it. I just… have a lot of feelings. (Mean Girls reference. Had to be done.)
This week is homework central. I mean, I literally sat down on Sunday and made a calendar and daily schedule-map-thing. It didn’t feel so much like time management as it did war strategy. Just trying to soldier on over here. I haven’t been this over-worked since the Battle of Bull Run. FOR REAL.
I’ve been in the library from 10:00 this morning, and I fully anticipate being here until at least 5. My view right now feels like a metaphor for this week, and it looks like this:
(And it smells deliciously like old books. Mmm.)
So. Here are the things that look the light at the end of the tunnel this week:
Thursday I get to do hair and makeup for the Miss Teen Extraordinaire Pageant again. I went with my Aunt Sheral last year and absolutely LOVED it. Special needs pageants are the best kind of pageants.
Thursday NIGHT, there will quite possibly be a chilly-hike-adventure-jaunt to some hot springs with some of my favorite friends.
Friday, it’s Smart Girls Book Club. I get to talk literature with my beautiful friends in a cute cafe in Salt Lake. It’s always a highlight. And always hilarious. This month’s book is Gatsby.
Friday also marks a day of freedom – SPRING BREAK BABY! I should probably figure out a game plan for that glittering week of free time. But in my defense, Utah should also stop snowing every .74 seconds.
So in closing – because I’m woefully close to getting off-schedule by posting this – enjoy this quote. I know I do. Good words are good for the soul.
“He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself.”

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-

You may also like

13 comments

rebeccaruby February 25, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog ๐Ÿ™‚

Posting about your week ahead is a really nice idea, looks like you've got a good one coming up. Your Friday book club sounds amazing, especially seeing as you're chatting about the great gatsby, one of my favorites ๐Ÿ™‚

B x

RebeccaRuby – A lifestyle blog

NewlyLoved February 26, 2013 at 12:06 am

can't believe I'm not following you already! Heelllooo!
xo Jessica

Kira Johnson February 26, 2013 at 3:47 am

You are delightful. And also that quote is probably my favorite from The Great Gatsby. What a book. I love you oceans and galaxies. For realzies. (p.s. Pencil me in for a play date during your spring break?)

Catherine February 26, 2013 at 3:47 am

I adore this. F. Scott Fitzgerald is such a master of the word. I love him so much. The Great Gatsby is one of my all time favorite books. And might be one of my favorite movies (haven't seen the Redford version, oops)? We'll have to see come May, but hello, Leo DiCaprio.

I'm with ya on the homework this week. This week and next are going to be brutal. Good luck and I'm glad you have such fun things to look forward to!

Shelby February 26, 2013 at 3:48 am

Hahaha. You are too sweet. I LOVE your blog.

Shelby February 26, 2013 at 3:49 am

All I want is for him to have an Oscar. Come on Leo. Commmme on. Poor little guy.

Shelby February 26, 2013 at 3:49 am

Always and forever. The love is SO mutual, my dear.

Shelby February 26, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Ok, I think we need to be best friends. Like right now!! Your Thursday sounds like absolute perfection! Like i can't even explain in words how jealous i am. i would probably have to use a lot of hand motions. And book club?!? is this a real thing, or just something you do with your friends?? because i am so intrigued. Gatsby… absolute favorite, and just finished reading it yet again. Fitzgerald is incredible. Oh, and good thing i make a weekly homework schedule. not a nerd or anything. ask me if i get it done… oops.

McCall Simmons February 26, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Love this and you and the picture and this week and you are the best and will always be in my heart and I will write a million run-on sentences for you because my love for you is eternal just like a run-on sentence.

Shelby February 27, 2013 at 2:42 am

Oh my. If I am ever in London, we will have to meet up and talk books!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Shelby February 27, 2013 at 2:44 am

Hahaha. Shelbs. I already feel the love. It's the name. You can't go wrong with a Shelby.

Consider yourself a member of Smart Girls Book Club! Honorary, since you're probably a bit far to come to chat. But if you're ever in the Salt Lake area, COME! Everyone would adore you.

And I KNOW right… homework schedule. It's such wishful thinking… eh.

Shelby February 27, 2013 at 2:44 am

GetintomylifethisinstantIcan'twaittoseeyouFridayyouarecuteandthebestfriendintheworldandyouhavegreathairsonyourheadandlovesinyourheartandthisissohardtoreadandyou'reprettyseeeeyaaaaa

Spencer February 27, 2013 at 3:35 am

Dear Shelby, You don't know me and we have never met. We do have a mutual friend in Charly Troff though and somehow I came upon your blog about a year ago thanks to her. Oddly I think you might be okay with me randomly stalking your blog, based on the things you say. Anywho just wanted to say I love this and I Love (with a capital L mind you) your writing style I am going to miss your blog when your on a mission.